Vanilla: love it or hate it?
Personally, I'm not a huge fan with the exception of vanilla bean ice cream. YUM! However, I decided to try out some vanilla cupcakes, using actual vanilla bean, for my vanilla-loving friend's birthday. It was my first time working with vanilla bean. At first I panicked after realizing my middle class suburbia's grocers didn't carry such a unique ingredient. Luckily, I found some Madagascar beans at Cost Plus World Market.
My attempt at Double Vanilla Cupcakes by Garrett McCord of Vanilla Garlic, posted on SimplyRecipes.com.
(Unfortunately, I hadn't yet made the frosting when I took the photo.)
I also made his Coconut Cupcakes in the past so I knew this recipe would be good, even in my hands. With the Coconut Cupcakes, I used a different frosting than what was in the recipe. I was feeling berry zesty (punny!) so I made a blackberry cream cheese frosting and a lime cream cheese frosting. Using Chockylit's frosting recipe, I split up the two batches and simply added a big spoonful of blackberry preserves to one half and lime zest and juice to the other. Voile!

No comments:
Post a Comment